Fast food. Drive thrus. They are the devil. BUT, they can also be godsends. Not only to moms, but especially to moms. I am not a fast food nazi although I know that there are much smarter, better, healthier choices to fill our bellies and our children’s bellies with. But sometimes, a mom’s gotta do what a moms gotta do.
Top 10 reasons we drove through that fast food joint…
1. Still in your pajamas. With slippers on feet. This has been my reality. I had to take my up-all-night-crying-child for a sunrise drive to get her to sleep. A certain golden arched establishment does make one of the best breakfast sandwiches. Come on, you know it.
2. No bra. You made it out of those pjs but it’s late in the day and mama needed to release the hounds. Aching back,aching shoulders and a tad too tight around, yes you are braless. Thank GOD the person in the window at that drive through can’t see.
3. Your child is crying and you need milk. STAT! Oh, and throw in a toy for good measure. Thank you and goodbye.
4. You have a sleeping child in the back seat. No way are you waking him or her, and Mama needs a latte. We don’t have one on Maui, but back on the mainland, I’ve been known to drive waaaaay out of way to find a Starbucks drive through. And yes it was worth it. A sleeping child in the back, a latte in my hand and The Bangles playing Manic Monday on the radio…that rocks!
5. You’re PMSing. Period. (no pun intended)
6. It’s raining. And you dread gathering up your two kids and yourself and walking in torrential downpour. So you risk only your arm instead. beep-beep.
7. No make-up. Or worse, yesterdays make-up, smeared and it’s Noon. Pop on sun glasses and drive on thru that fast food joint mama. No need to lift those shades and expose the raccoon eyes of sleepless mommy nights.
8. In-n-Out. Wham bam thank you m’am. Life is fast…and so is a fast food drive thru. On nights when you’ve got practices to go to and places to be, the almighty neon drive thru sign can be your beacon to appease the masses.
9. You, I mean your kids, have collected almost every single one of the Speed Racer toys. Except that last one. I do it all for the toys…all for the toys.
10. No shoes. In a dash to get out of the house and go hunt down dinner, at 6 p.m., you forget your shoes and have to go the fast food, drive thru route. (psst, this can be done intentionally or unintentionally, I’ve seen it played out both ways. wink wink.)
And there you have it! It’s all for good reason. We’re not bad mothers, we’re smart, quick on our feet decision makers.
Other places that I love that offer drive thrus…
I mentioned Starbucks…you rock…but I want in West Maui
Car washes….these are the bomb. Most kids like them. But some get really freaked out…beware. You could be stuck for 5 minutes with a crying toddler and absolutely no way out.
Banks. A drive up teller or ATM is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously.
I’d love to see…
A drive up sushi joint. Fresh sushi on the spot!
A drive through video rental kiosk
A drive through smoothie shack
And a place that just sells, milk, diapers and wipes. I think they’d rake it in.