mmm mmm…Kalua Pulled Pork Sandwich

“Too few people understand a really good sandwich.” -James Beard

One of my absolute favorite sandwiches is a pulled pork sandwich with Maui onions and some yummy barbecue sauce to top it off. It’s rather simple, but it makes my lips turn up and my belly thanks me with the feeling of being satisfied. So for my take on Kraft Foods’ Sandwich Road Trip, I knew I had to showcase this Hawaiian treat.

A little more about Kraft’s Sandwich Road Trip….

In July, Kraft Foods will be launching an interactive microsite on www.Outstandwich.com that will act as a virtual trip around the country, as we search of the best regional sandwiches. Some of the sandwiches will be inspired by the Kraft Kitchen Experts, but others will come straight from some of our favorite bloggers and their readers (YOU!)

How I made my favorite pulled pork sandwich…the easy way…

Kalua pork is the pork that’s cooked in an imu, or an under ground oven, here in Hawaii. It’s one of our most traditional meals and can be found at any luau or on any mixed plate menu. If you don’t have an imu you can make your own pulled pork recipe using a crock pot with pork butt, sea salt, some liquid smoke, and some spices.

Or, you can do as I did and cheat. For this scrumptious sandwich I bought kalua pork already made from Costco…yes I know, the foodies are probably all up in arms over this. However, with my husband out of town and me alone with two kids (while I worked from home!) premade kalua pork from Costco it was! (when not in Hawaii, check out the deli section at your local market, many have pulled pork already made for you. It may not be authentic Kalua pork, but any pulled pork will do).

I did make the house smell like some real cooking was happening when I sauteed some Maui onion in organic coconut oil (this is THE BEST!).

Then I poured on some locally made barbecue sauce, plopped it all on a french roll (I went with what I had but a taro roll would be really really yummy!) and then I chowed down.

Win $100! Sorry, this contest is now closed.

The winner is….

The folks at Kraft Foods want to hear about your favorite sandwich from where you live!

Submit your favorite local sandwich recipe in the comments below and be entered to win a $100 American Express gift card and be featured on Kraft’s www.Outstandwich.com interactive map of sandwiches from all over the country.

Receive extra entries for tweeting and sharing on facebook (use the buttons in this post…easy peasy!) Leave an extra comment for each time you share!

Deadline: Monday 6/20 midnight Hawaii time

Ready, set, comment!

When on Maui, these are my fave places to go for a really good Kalua Pork Pulled Sandwich

• Hula Grill (in the Barefoot Bar) in Kaanapali
  • Honolua Store in Kapalua
  • Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina Town

Comments

1. Christine says:
  2. Betty C says:
  3. Betty C says:

One of my favorites is a chicken salad sandwich from Razzy’s Deli. They only make it this way for a short time each year. All they do is add slivered almonds and crushed pineapple to their regular chicken salad. I always have them add tomatoes and toast which ever bread I’m in the mood for. It’s wonderful

4. First I toast my crusty Italian Bread.
    I cut it open and put the following on both sides:
    Mayo, olive oil, garlic salt and oregano.
    Then I add the following very thinly sliced meats:
    Italian salami, honey ham, honey turkey, smoked ham and mortadella.
    I then add a few slices of aged provolone.
    I then dice up some sweet onions and top the top of the bread with them.
    I add shredded romaine lettuce and sliced tomatoes and top it.
    Yum!

5. Janna Johnson says:

turkey, artichoke, red pepper panini!
    jannajanna@hotmail.com

6. spirit_kim says:

what’s up with the time?

7. we have the GODMOTHER: genoa salami, mortadella, coppacola, ham, prosciutto, provolone on italian roll. a real heart-stopper!
    kolpin4680 at gmail dot com

8. Breanne says:

I love a Fried Pork Tenderloin sandwich with ketchup!

9. kelley c says:

My favorite sandwich has avocado, onion, sprouts, and provolone. You get it at Mellow Mushroom. Yummy!

pandahugger(at)gmail(dot)com

10. spirit_kim says:

Southern Fried Catfish Sandwich
    Love that word sandwich!
    Purchase some quality catfish filets. Dredge lightly in salt, pepper, and pinch of cayenne seasoned flour.
    Fry in canola or vegetable oil until light golden brown. Toast two slices of good sourdough bread, butter both slices. Spread Kraft tarter sauce on one toast. Place 4 slices of dill pickle on buttered side, top with a filet. Place some lettuce on top of catfish and tarted toast on top. Take a big tastey bite!

11. like portabellow mushrooms spinachonopns garlic artichoes on rosemary bead ty

12. On rosemary garlic bread I apply turkey, cheddar cheese, avocado, onions, tomatoes and pickled jalapenos.

13. momznite says:

We like grilled portobello mushroom, garlic and herb goat cheese, caramelized onions, and arugula on a crusty french roll.
    momznite_at_yahoo_daught_com

14. My favorite local sandwich is chicken salad on honey walnut bread with fresh lettuce and tomato.

15. My Fave local sandwich is the rueben from Gyro from Dehlia’s in Sterling, VA.
    knycks1(at)aol(dot)com

16. Debra F says:
  17. Debra F says:
  18. Debra F says:

My favorite sub is from our local italian joint and they make a mean hot meatball sub with garlic marinara and melted provolone cheese. It is to die for.

19. susan smoaks says:

i love sourdough bread, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, salami, ham and pepperoni

20. Kat Emerick says:

My favorite local sandwich is the Muffeletta ( New Orleans Style)

INGREDIENTSserves 4
    For the Olive Salad
    1 cup pitted olives, preferably a mix, roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon minced shallots
    1 tablespoon minced celery
    1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste

For the Sandwich
    1 loaf focaccia, halved lengthwise, cut into quarters
    4 ounces ham, salami, capicola, or a mix, thinly sliced
    4 ounces mortadella, thinly sliced
    4 ounces provolone cheese
    PROCEDURES
    Combine olives, shallot, celery, red pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Season to taste with vinegar, salt, and pepper.
    Tear out some of the doughy insides of the bread if it’s especially thick, and lay bread slices down face up on cutting board. Spoon olive mixture on both top and bottom halves. Layer meat and cheese onto bottom halves, then top with top halves. Serve immediately, or for better flavor, wrap in plastic and allow bread to soak up juices for one hour before serving.

kat_emerick@yahoo.com

21. shared on facebook as misty sunrise

itsjustme62613 at gmail.com
    mistysunrise´s last blog post ..GREAT Heartsy Deal of the day 10 for 25 Online Store Credit at Studio76 Cosmetics

22. Our Local Sandwich is called the Horseshoe. Its GOOD! You can RARELY find it outside the Springfield, IL area.

itsjustme62613 at gmail.com

Horseshoe Sandwich Recipe

Recipe Type: Beef, Pork, Sandwich, Cheese
    Yields: 4 servings
    Sandwich prep time: 20 min
    Sauce cook time: 15 min

Ingredients:

Frozen French fries
    Cheese Beer Sauce or Original Sauce Recipe (see recipes below)
    8 slices toasted white bread
    Sliced baked ham or 8 cooked hamburger patties
    Dash of ground paprika

Preparation:

Prepare frozen French fries according to package directions.

Place 2 slices of toasted bread side by side on individual serving platters. Top with either ham slices or cooked beef patties.

Cover with Cheese Beer Sauce or Original Sauce and mound a large amount of French fries on top and along the sides.

To garnish, sprinkle with paprika. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Cheese Sauce:
    1/2 pound butter
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/4 to 1/2 pound all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 quart plus 1 cup milk
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 1/2 to 3 pounds chopped Old English Cheddar cheese
    1 pint beer

Melt butter, add flour and milk. Add rest of ingredients except beer. Stir constantly, while cooking, to a smooth cream sauce. Stir in beer to sauce just before serving.

23. we love to take sliced turkey meat, pepperjack cheese, and cranberry sauce and put it on toasted sour dough bread.. yum!

24. kathy pease says:
  25. kathy pease says:
  26. kathy pease says:

my kids and I love making subs and sandwiches. my favorite is a wheat roll with cajun ham,a slice of provolone cheese, a leaf of lettuce, diced up black olives and spicy mustard :)